Thursday, January 12, 2012

Culinary Adventures: Making Cheese!

For Christmas I got my boyfriend this adorably packaged cheese making kit from Make Cheese on Etsy. All you need is a gallon of milk and everything else is in the bag. The particular kit I purchased can make 8 batches of mozzerella.





This is what an entire gallon of milk looks like in a cast iron pot in case you were ever wondering.




After a bit the curd starts to form and you being to think about Little Miss Muffet. So this is what she was eating?




Then you drain off the excess whey and it begins to take on a more cheese like consistency.




Eventually you end up with mozzerella. I'm sorry to say ours ended up looking a little bit like brains, but it was still very tasty.




You can then make ricotta with the left over whey and oh my goodness this was so delicious. It was so creamy. Definitely my favorite part.




The finished ricotta. We didn't actually eat it with the avocado. I just thought they looked cute together.




Finally you can make a norwegian cheese called mysost with whatever is left over. I don't think my mysost was made correctly as I kind of ended up something that had the consistency of dried plaster of paris. Not exactly what you want in your cheese.




So that was our culinary adventure last weekend. It only took about a half an hour to make the mozzerella and ricotta and I think they turned out pretty well. I'm definitely looking forward to the next seven batches!

Not related to the cheese, but also a culinary adventure in and of itself we also made pizzas from scratch. Really, though, I just wanted an excuse to post this picture because I think it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment